Assistant Vice President, ClaimsNorthern New England, or Dallas, TX area
Smith & Wilkinson has been engaged by our client, a prominent life insurance carrier in New England, on a search for their next Assistant Vice President, Claims. This role is accountable for ensuring that all claims are properly executed, and all payments are made on a timely and accurate manner. The successful candidate will ensure that claimants and advisors receive proactive communication during the claims process and that decisions are shared in an empathic manner. In addition, this position is responsible to manage and mentor claims team members to ensure there is continuous learning. The role is also responsible for fostering a high-performance team environment where claims examiners are empowered and supported in their work.
- Provide leadership, strategic planning and thoughtful problem solving for the Claims department.
- Recruit, manage and mentor direct reports by fostering career development, motivating day-to-day deliverables, promoting an efficient and effective team environment, and engaging with and capitalizing on employee strengths.
- Build cross-functional partnerships with other business units and teams throughout the organization.
- Build strong relationships with the sales force, customers and other business partners, including Legal, Special Investigative Unit (SIU), Actuarial, Underwriting and Compliance.
- Work in partnership with senior leadership to ensure priorities are clear and in line with business strategies.
- Provides direction to direct reports on litigated claims and appeals; coach on complex decisions.
- May perform quality assurance and review audits; reviews data to spot trends and report findings.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- 10+ years’ experience in individual life insurance and/or annuities, either underwriting or claims
- Minimum of 5 years in a leadership role
- A high level of attention to detail and strong people skills; ability to forge strong working relationships
- Excellent project management, writing and oral communication skills are required
- Team player approach with the ability and desire to contribute and help transform the Claims team
- Strong business acumen and organizational agility; results oriented critical thinker.