Commercial Lines Underwriting LeaderBurlington, VT
Responsible for the supervision and mentoring of an assigned group of Commercial Lines (CL) Underwriting staff. Oversee the acceptance, declination and rating of risks.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan, implement, coordinate, supervise and monitor all aspects of Commercial Lines (CL) Underwriting operations.
- Supervise assigned staff. Plan, assign and review work; confer regularly with staff to mentor, plan/coordinate schedules & activities, assist with difficult or unusual issues or tasks; review work in need of higher authority and take appropriate action; refer unresolved/difficult issues to the Commercial Lines Manager.
- Monitor and evaluate Department’s workflow inventory to ensure efficiency/productivity and quality of all underwriting operations and take actions to correct or improve as needed.
- Assist in developing, implementing and modifying operating policies, procedures and systems in accordance with company objectives and strategic initiatives as well as government regulatory requirements and ensure execution of such by staff.
- Collaborate with Manager in determining short and long term staffing needs.
- Interview candidates for job openings, recommend new hires, and coordinate the onboarding process
- Evaluate employee performance effectively, including conducting at least one written performance evaluation annually; mentor and administer Individual Development Plans, providing appropriate training and feedback to employees in a timely manner.
- Execute quality control of Underwriting files and transactions for staff as prescribed in the CL Quality Assurance program.
- Assist in pricing and product development in collaboration with Underwriting Manager, Marketing, R&D and Compliance.
- Execute Agency Management strategy including developing effective agency relationships in collaboration with the underwriters and marketing team.
- Assist in developing and administering the commercial lines portion of the underwriting department operating budget
- Assist in a variety of departmental planning and administrative tasks, such as preparation of management reports, special research projects, systems design and implementation projects, and the like.
- Share information and collaborate with business partners, colleagues, Department Head, Commercial Lines Manager, other Department Managers, Underwriters and Agents, etc. to proactively improve day-to-day service, champion process improvements and successfully resolve issues that may arise.
- Keep abreast of pertinent change in laws and regulations and ensure that company policies, procedures, and forms are in compliance.
- Attend management seminars and execute other developmental activities as prescribed in the Individual Development Plan.
- Assist in the planning and conducting of Department meetings.
- Utilize and have a good understanding of the necessary software.
- Back up Commercial Lines Manager as needed.
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned.
Administrative and functional supervision of 5-15 staff members.
General supervision is received from the Commercial Lines Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or other appropriate discipline plus 7+ years of industry, technical and supervisory experience, including 3-5 years of relevant underwriting experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Broad base of knowledge and skills related to underwriting commercial lines of insurance. Good general, insurance, company and independent agency operations.
- Excellent math, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgement and effectively handle business/underwriting and personnel situations.
- Strong knowledge and skills related to computer applications in underwriting, with relevant systems design experience.
- Strong administrative and supervisory skills.
- Proficient with PC applications, including Microsoft Outlook, Word & Excel.
- Ability to represent the company to and deal effectively with agents and a variety of other organizations/individuals outside the company, as well as a wide range of company personnel.