Commercial UnderwriterBoston, MA
The Underwriter is responsible for evaluating underwriting risks. He/she:
- Compiles, analyzes and reviews application and other underwriting information from individuals and organizations for accuracy, changes, classification and compliance with underwriting guidelines.
- Provides timely and efficient service to our member institutions, physicians and related parties.
- Contributes effectively to success of the UW team and other departments within the Company's systems.
- Reviews and evaluates applications, requests, and other insurance documents, and makes recommendations for coverage requests within authority limits.
- Understands, interprets, and explains policy language and coverage.
- Keeps current with member risk profiles and makes adjustments when needed.
- Seeks and shares knowledge on new and emerging risks.
- Recommends and implements changes that may improve efficiency, customer service, quality etc.
- Reviews, evaluates and recommends modifications to underwriting guidelines and policies and procedures.
- Develops and analyzes reports and data to support underwriting initiatives.
- May lead or participate in project work.
- Establishes effective relationships with insurance managers, credentialing personnel and other key members of assigned organizations for the purpose of understanding risk and providing outstanding customer service.
- Develops a thorough understanding of underwriting and related risk factors of assigned member institutions; keeps current with this activity.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with other members of the UW team as well as Claims, Patient Safety, Communications and other members of the Company.
- Meets or exceeds service standards in the areas of new business, renewals, audits and confirmations of coverage and requests for information.
- College degree required.
- 3-5+ years of experience in commercial underwriting.
- Insurance designation or other insurance related courses preferred; for example, RPLU (Registered Professional Liability Underwriter) certification.