Senior Underwriter, Individual LifeDallas, TX, New England or Remote
Smith & Wilkinson has been engaged on a search for an Individual Life Senior Underwriter. The Senior Underwriter will have dual responsibility to underwrite and support the risk assessment of Individual Life Applications and to act in a leadership role for underwriters on the team. In the underwriting capacity, this role oversees evaluation of risk to determine an individual’s insurability adhering to medical & financial underwriting guidelines. Working closely with the Finance and Claims departments, you will be responsible for underwriting individual life insurance applications up to $5,000,000 on a cross functional underwriting team. This position can be based in Dallas, TX or New England, and remote / teleworking will be considered for exceptional candidates.
- Evaluates and handles all underwriting aspects of formal & informal life insurance applications
- Underwrites cases with a graduated amount limit up to $5,000,000
- Identifies trends and issues and offers the best underwriting solutions
- Provides second signature review
- Works on assigned projects pertaining to underwriting and enterprise initiatives
- Understanding of sales themes and concepts of varying levels of complexity
- Understand underwriting policies, guidelines, practices and procedures
- Interprets policies, proposals, claims and financial reports
- Demonstrates dependability, flexibility and sound judgment by meeting all productivity, quality and performance standards and project ownership; excellent time management skills a must.
- Determines whether to accept, modify, or decline a policy request through evaluation of an individual's medical history and/or physical condition, occupational hazard, and financial background.
- Collaborates effectively with stakeholders to gather necessary information to select profitable risks.
- Represents the company and devotes time to developing relationships with customers, agents and partners
- Provides training and mentorship to underwriting associates
- Collaborates with colleagues by sharing knowledge and providing advice on more complex underwriting determinations.
Experience & Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5+ years of experience in individual life underwriting for a primary carrier
- Progress toward applicable industry certifications (e.g. FLMI, CLU) preferred
- Strong software skills, including Microsoft Suite
- EKG and Cardiac test interpretation preferred
- Strong written and verbal Communication skills
- An analytical mindset and collaborative personality