Underwriting SupervisorBoston, MA
Smith & Wilkinson has been engaged on a search for an Underwriting Supervisor by our client, a growth-oriented P&C carrier located in the greater Boston area. The Underwriting Supervisor is responsible for underwriting, profitability, growth and retention of new and renewal business that is consistent with underwriting strategies within an assigned territory. Hires, develops and retains staff of Regional Office Underwriters with emphasis on development through guidance, coaching and mentoring.
- Responsible for evaluating performance of all underwriters to confirm adherence to company underwriting guidelines policy.
- Effectively manages the quality process in a book of business.
- Manages territory to meet all regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for the administration of underwriting authority to underwriters with the Director of Regional Underwriting Operations.
- Understand trending in relation to growth and profit.
- Agency/Sales Management.
- Demonstrates strong partnerships with agents and brokers.
- Support sales plans and agency engagement initiatives.
- Effectively manage agency profitability.
- Work closely with Regional Vice President and Director of Regional Underwriting Operations to develop strategic plans that allow profitable growth in the territory.
- College degree or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 5 years commercial management experience required in the insurance industry
- Underwriting experience
- Solid financial / business acumen skills; leadership skills required
- Knowledge of the day to day workings of retail P&C agencies
- Knowledge of commercial middle market coverages, insurance contracts, pricing and rating
- Ability to create and interpret operational and/or financial reports
- CPCU and/or CIC designations highly preferred